Wednesday, October 13, 2010

run, Forrest, run!

For most of my life I've never had to worry about what I eat or how much I exercise. Blame it on genetics or a hatred for butter, but I just haven't.

Then I turned 30. At that exact moment I gained 10 pounds - or at least it seemed that way. And it wouldn't go away. Not that I tried too hard, but those 10 pounds were there to stay.

Now I'm a few years past 30 and a few pounds past those extra 10. My love affair with all things carbs doesn't help. Neither does the fact that I'm not a big fan of exercise. Playing with my children outside? Yes. Hiking in the mountains? Yes. Riding a bike? Yes. But putting in an exercise DVD or taking an aerobics class or - dare I say it - running? Not so much. Since the fact that we don't live in the mountains and I don't own a bike sort of put a dimmer on those type of activities, I'm forced to find something else.

And that something else is running. I have never been a runner. I am not a fan of running. It hurts and it's hard and I just plain don't like it. But to continue my love of bread and to get myself feeling strong and fit, I have started to run.

I completed my first 5K last weekend. And by completing I mean running slowly the first half and zooming like lightening the rest of the way. Okay, so I was barely able to walk the second half, but in my mind I was Eric Liddell (I totally just googled him by typing "guy from chariots of fire"). Or at least Forrest Gump.

So it didn't go as I had hoped. I was ready to give it up, but my ever-encouraging husband has come alongside me and pushed me until I threw up gently guided me to go further in my running this week.

We have committed to run an 8K on Thanksgiving morning in Knoxville while we're at my grandmother's. I'm determined to finish strong this time. I still don't like running. My poor husband listens to my complaints throughout the entire run. I have to admit, though, 30 minutes after I'm done it feels great.

Eric Liddell I will never be. But that's okay. I'd look funny as a man anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I don't really like running either. I keep hoping that my likingness will kick in soon. I don't get that rush of endorphins that I keep reading about. It just mentally makes me feel better to know that I can run 30 minutes without stopping. On those days, I need a nap by the middle of the afternoon. However, I will keep going.

    ReplyDelete